John Wesley's Rules for Singing (1761)
1. Sing all. See that you join with the congregation as frequently as you can. Let not a slight degree of weakness or weariness hinder you. If it is a cross to you, take it up and you will find a blessing.
2. Sing lustily, and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength. Be no more afraid of your voice now, nor more ashamed of it being heard, then when you sing the songs of Satan.
3. Sing modestly. Do not bawl, as to be heard above, or distinct from, the rest of the congregation, that you may not destroy the harmony; but strive to unite your voices together, so as to make one clear melodious sound.
4. Sing in time. Whatever time is sung, be sure to keep with it. Do not run before, not stay behind it; but attend closely to the leading voices, and move therewith as exactly as you can. And take care you sing not too slow. This drawling way naturally steals on all who are lazy; and it is high time to drive it out from among us, and sing all our tunes just as quick as we did at first.
5. Above all, sing spiritually. Have an eye to God in every word you sing. Aim at pleasing Him more than yourself, or any other creature. In order to do this, attend strictly to the sense of what you sing, and see that your heart is not carried away with the sound, but offered to God continually; so shall your singing be such as the Lord will approve of here, and reward when he cometh in the clouds of heaven.
Hymns of Charles Wesley
Charles, the younger brother of John Wesley, wrote over 6,000 hymns and poems. 303 of his hymns may be seen and heard at www.cyberhymnal.org. The Seventh-day Adventist Hymnal (1985) contains 18 of his hymns:
105 – Sing to the Great Jehovah’s Praise
122 – Hark! the Herald Angels Sing
166 – Christ the Lord is Risen Today
176 – Hail the Day That Sees Him Rise
191 – Love Divine
198 – And Can It Be?
204 – Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus
211 – Lo! He Comes
221 – Rejoice, the Lord is King
233 – Christ, Whose Glory Fills the Skies
250 – O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing
256 – Ye Servants of God
323 – O for a Heart to Praise My God!
486 – I Do Believe
489, 490 – Jesus, Lover of My Soul
521 – Depth of Mercy
540 – Gentle Jesus, Meek and Mild
616 – Soldiers of Christ, Arise